The more we study nutrition the more it seems like the food with the highest “weird factor” packs the highest nutritional punch. When we tell people we eat things like fermented veggies and cartilage and bone marrow and dandelions it’s not too hard to interpret the wide-eyed stares.
Who eats that stuff, other than maybe your grandma?
The answer is most people, other than us silly modern humans.
Other cultures eat these things and have done so since before recorded history. Since we’ve become habituated to feeding ourselves easy sugar and calories from packages, we’ve forgotten the real nutritional powerhouses that nature provides in abundance.
Most people probably think of it as “stinky beach algae”. Perhaps the more epicurean amongst us might regard it as an acceptable vessel for their sushi rolls. But did you know that seaweed contains every single mineral required by the human body? Try to find another edible plant that can boast that. We’ll wait.
Seaweed, by weight, is a higher source of iron than beef. It’s a higher source of calcium than milk. It’s a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. Put aside what you regard as “weird” for a second. What if there was a way to transform all that lovely nutrition into a heaping bowl of tasty edibles that you will not want to stop eating (we promise), with only about 10 minutes of work?
Here it is!
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2oz Package dried wakame seaweed (available in packages in the international foods aisle of your grocery store, or an Asian market)
- 1 Bunch blanched/soaked carrot greens, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 Cup chopped scallion tops
- 4 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tamari soy sauce (optional)
- Soak wakame according to package in a 2.5 quart (or larger) bowl, usually 5 mins or so.
- While the wakame is soaking, chop scallion tops and carrot greens.
- Drain wakame in a colander, pressing out excess water.
- Dry the bowl the wakame was soaked in, and combine all ingredients in it. Stir until well combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve cold.
Bonus: Add 2 Tbsp. Ginger juice or grated ginger, 2 Tbsp. Sesame Seeds for a slightly different flavor and texture.
Enjoy this addictive salad, enjoy your body thanking you for the boost of minerals, and tell us what you think in the comments below!